Discover how to play Baccarat online and make the most of your casino money. Our top tips and playing guide are designed to help you win more Baccarat bets.
What is Baccarat
No online casino lobby would be complete without a game of baccarat. This game can trace its origins back to the French elite who played this game in private lounges. The aim of baccarat is to use the numbered cards in the decks to get as close to 9 as possible. A game of baccarat is usually played between the banker and the player, with the option to back either of the two.
You could only ever play this classic table game in real casino venues. However, in recent times, this game, like so many others, has made a move to the online world. You can now play baccarat in all the top-rated casinos across Asia.
Have you ever looked at baccarat and wondered how it works? Well, you are in the right place.
Our casino experts will take you through this game, and by the end, you will know exactly how to play baccarat with the best players. Should you need more tips, then check out our Ultimate Guide to Winning Baccarat Online.
What Version of Baccarat Should I Play?
When learning how to play baccarat online, you are faced with whether you want to play the live version or the video game version. The video game version uses an RNG feature (Random Number Generator), which plays each hand with the same probability.
When playing the live version, you are playing with a human as the banker. Live versions of table games are often more appealing to players since they inspire more trust than the automated version – although both are fair if you play the licensed casinos recommended here at Bet on Reels.
However, your choices do not stop here. You have many more variants available that you can choose from than just the video game or live versions. As with many table games, you have different rule variations of these games that are popular for one reason or another.
The majority of baccarat games that you will come across are the Punto Banco variety. Punto Banco means player (punto) and banker (banker), as these are the two positions played. This version of the game is very popular all over the world and will often be labeled as just baccarat.
Chemin de Fer
Chemin de Fer is a popular France-inspired game where players do not play against the banker. Instead, the players compete against each other, taking turns to be the banker. You are, however, not very likely to come across this version online.
A popular video type of baccarat is the No Commission baccarat game. This version of the game is popular because the game takes away the 5% commission that the banker normally receives. This means you get the same odds for backing the banker and the player.
How to Play Baccarat (Step-by-Step Guide)
Baccarat is one of the easier games to play and learn on the casino floor. It only takes a basic understanding to be able to play this game, but like all games, you should practice and perfect your skills.
- You can either back the player’s hand or the banker’s. Usually, you need to pay a little commission when backing the banker, but this depends on the table rules and the type of baccarat game you are playing.
- Next, the cards will be dealt. First, the player will receive a card, then the banker. After that, the player again, and once again, the banker. This leaves each player with two cards.
- Once the player and banker have their cards, they need to be added and announced. Any face card (Jack, Queen, and King) and 10 counts as zero. Any other card is worth its face value.
- If the total of the cards is worth more than 10, then the value of the second number is the total. Therefore, if you receive a 9 and a 7, your total would be 16, and your baccarat total would be 6.
- The round is over if either the player or the banker lands on a total of 8 or 9. This is called a natural win, and all bets that have been placed will be cashed out.
- If there is no natural win, deciding who gets a third card will depend on the totals.
- If the player total is 8 or 9, they win, and no more cards will be dealt.
- If the player total is 6 or 7, they must stand.
- Should the total be 0 to 5, the player can receive another card unless the banker is on 8 or 9, in which case the banker wins.
Certain rules also apply as to whether the banker can draw a third card.
- If the player holds a 9, 10, face card, or Ace, the Banker draws when it holds a 0 to 3 or stays when it holds a 4 to 7.
- If the player’s third card is an 8, the Banker draws on 0 to 2 and stays on 3 to 7.
- Should the player hold 6 or 7, the Banker draws when it holds 0 to 6 and stays on 7.
- If the third card is a 4 or 5, the Banker draws on 0 to 5 and draws on 6 to 7.
- Finally, if the player’s third card is a 2 or 3, the Banker stays on 0 to 4 and draws on 5 to 7.
Once all the draws are done, the totals are calculated to see who won. If the score ends in a tie, nobody wins or loses, and you get your bet amount returned.
Q: How many card decks are used to play baccarat?
A: In most cases, six decks are used for playing baccarat online. Check the individual game rules for the exact number.
Q: What are the card values?
A: Aces count as one, face cards (king, queen, jack) and tens count as zero, while numerical cards hold their value. The card suit has no value at all.
Q: What is the best strategy for playing baccarat and winning?
A: There are a few strategies out there to help you improve your chances of winning, but the most important one is always back the banker. You may pay a little commission on this, but even so, the odds are betting than backing the player and never the side bets.