Become a poker pro and learn how to play online with the Bet on Reels team. Poker is one of the most played games, so learn the rules and get winning today
Poker is one of the most popular card games for gambling. It’s a card game with a rich history dating back to before the 17th century, and while there are a few theories of where the game originated, the true origin is still unknown. Poker found its way to America and became a staple at kitchen tables, dive bars, and anywhere else anyone could play.
Learning how to play poker may seem a bit overwhelming initially, but it doesn’t take much time to pick up the other variations once you know the basic rules and how to play. There are many variants of poker, the most popular is Texas Hold’Em, and also Omaha, 7-Card Stud, 5-card Draw, High/Low Chicago, and Follow The Queen.
What is poker?
Poker is a card game that uses skill and luck at its foundations and where you need to bet against other players or the dealer, hoping you have a stronger hand than they do. In other words, you are betting that your hand is better and of a higher value than the cards they have. Each poker hand has five cards and is played with a standard deck of 52 cards.
Each player then has to raise, equal (call or match) or drop out (fold or concede) according to what they think the value of their and their opponent’s cards are. The player holding the highest value cards at the end of the betting wins the pot. Poker can be played with 2 to 14 players at a time.
When learning how to play poker, you will need to learn how the ranking of card hands and the odds of getting the cards you need to make a high-ranking hand.
Understanding the hand
No matter what type of poker you are learning or if you are studying how to play poker, the hands are almost always the same. In this section, our experts at Bet on Reels will show you the ten basic hands for a 5-card game.
- Royal Flush: is also known as the royal straight flush. This hand is made up of a 10, Jack, Queen, King, and Ace from the same suit. A suit is clubs, hearts, diamonds or spades. This hand can only be tied by another royal flush and cannot be beaten.
- Straight Flush: is made of 5 consecutive cards of the same suit.
- 4 of a Kind: means that you have 4 cards of the same rank but not the same suit and a 5th card of any rank.
- A Full House: means that you have 3 matching cards of one rank and 2 unmatching cards of another.
- A Flush: means that you have any 5 cards of the same suit. They do not have to be consecutive or in sequence, but they must be of the same suit.
- A Straight: is made up of five cards in consecutive rank, but they are not from the same suit.
- 3 of a Kind: is made up of three matching cards from the same rank and two unmatched cards.
- 2 Pair: means that you have two cards of one rank and two kinds of another rank (such as two eights and two fives) and one unmatched card.
- Pair: this means you only have two matched cards of one rank and three unmatched cards.
- High Card: means that you have no consecutive cards, they are not from the same suit, and you have no two cards of the same rank. This is also the lowest ranking hand or a “nothing” hand.
How to play poker (step-by-step guide)
Poker is a simple game to learn and a difficult one to master, and this is why millions love to play the game worldwide. We have a simple step-by-step guide to help you get started on your first few poker rounds:
Step1: Place your bets! This is done before the cards are dealt. Once bets are placed, you will receive your first two cards face down. These cards are called hole cards. You now need to decide to raise, call, or fold.
Step 2: Once bets are made, your three face-up (flop) cards are dealt. Now you can see your hand’s strength and place another round of bets if you want to carry on.
Step 3: Your fourth face-up (turn) card is dealt, and you again place your bet if you want to continue.
Step 4: Your fifth face-up card (the river) is dealt, and you can now finally see the full strength of your hand. A final bet is placed.
Step 5: The showdown. All players reveal their cards, and the strongest hand wins the pot!
Helpful tips and strategies when playing poker online
Learning how to play poker is fun, but there are a few things to keep in mind to limit your losses while gaining confidence, such as going in with a plan and sticking to it. Getting greedy or overconfident can cause substantial financial losses. When you doubt your hand, fold.
Research the terminology and jargon used in poker and do some reading on strategies. Our experts here at Bet on Reels have created an Ultimate Guide to Winning Poker Online packed with helpful hints and tips.
Start small, play against the dealer first, and get comfortable with the table and the betting options. Once you have played a few hands with just the dealer and one hand, move to games where you can simultaneously play two or more hands.
Play poker variations until you find your favorite, and most importantly, have fun.
Q: If I fold, do I lose all the money I have already bet?
A: Yes, if you fold, you lose all the money you have already put into the betting pot.
Q: What is the best hand I can have in poker?
A: The best hand would be the royal flush as no other hand can beat it, although you can be tied.
Q: What is the river card?
A: The fifth and final card dealt is called the river.