Discover all the tips and tricks and learn how to play blackjack online. Our blackjack experts explain all you need to know about this casino classic.
What is Blackjack?
Blackjack is probably the most played casino game there is. The main aim of playing this card game is to get your card total as close to 21 as possible without going over. When you play Blackjack, you do not play against other players; you only play against the dealer.
In the past, when you wanted to play this game, you needed to travel to a casino. Fortunately, we can now play this casino classic online. With the hundreds of top online casinos available in Asia, you are sure to find the right game to play with the help of Bet on Reels.
If you have ever wondered how to play blackjack, then you are in the right place. We put together this guide to help you join the ranks of the many millions of Blackjack players and hopefully give you the best chance to beat the dealers. Does that sound good? Read on!
Which Version of Blackjack to Play?
When playing Blackjack online, you can either play the traditional slot version or the live dealer variety. There are perks to both of these. The slot-based game allows you to play comfortably at your own speed. You get to look up the rules if you are new to the game, try out what everything does, and you could even practice for free. The live dealer game lets you experience a more social game, similar to what you would in a casino.
Other than these two types of Blackjack games, you have many different versions of the game with several side bets and game rules to enjoy. There are actually so many versions that you could write a book about it, but for now, we are going to look at the three most popular games.
Multihand Blackjack lets the player play with more than one hand, meaning you get to play 1 to 4 hands against the dealer at the same time. Each hand is played independently from the other, and you can still play the game at your own pace, fast or slow.
In American Blackjack, the main difference comes in when the player receives their hole card (facedown card). The dealer receives his first card before deciding what to do about his hand.
European Blackjack gives the player slightly better odds than its American counterpart. In this version, the dealer must stand on a soft 17, and if the player gets a Blackjack, then the payout is 3:2. The number of decks can vary depending on where you play, but the smaller the number, the better for the player.
If you want to get more in-depth tips on this game, come read The Ultimate Guide to Winning Blackjack Online by our team of casino specialists. It’s the perfect place to gain a better understanding of the game.
Step-by-Step Blackjack Playing Guide
Learning how to play blackjack is a relatively simple process. You just need to keep calm and play sensibly. At its base, the dealer deals you and himself two cards, and then both of you try to use the cards to make a total of 21 or get closer than the other to 21. Should you go over, you go bust, and we know that sounds simple, but there is a little more to it.
Of course, every version of Blackjack has its own rules, but some similarities apply to most games. Before playing the game, it is good to know what the value of the cards is:
2 to 10 – is equal to their face values.
Jack, Queen, and King – are equal to 10.
Ace – is equal to either 1 or 11, depending on what you want to play it as.
Now you are ready to play a round, so follow our step-by-step guide on how to play the game:
- First, you must decide on the version of Blackjack that you want to play. Once you have a seat at your table, you must decide the chip size. In the online version, this is easy. Just select the chip value you want to bet with.
- Next, you must place a bet on the table in the marked area. This will be followed by you letting the dealer know it’s time to deal (hit the Deal button). The dealer will then deal you two cards, one face down and one face up.
- Once you have your cards, you decide whether to stand or hit. When you stand, it means you want no more cards; when you hit, it means you want the dealer to give you another card. To stand or hit, you need to use a bit of sense. The idea is to add the value of your cards to get as close to 21 without going bust.
- If the dealer is closer to 21, he will win. If you are closer, you will win. If you or the dealer go over, it’s called “bust,” and the other player wins.
Blackjack Betting Options
Now that you know the basics of playing Blackjack, there are some betting options that you might want to consider which make the game more interesting. These are the most popular side bets you will come across when playing:
- Insurance: This is one of the most regular side bets. This bet allows you to cover yourself against the dealer having blackjack, should the dealer’s first card be an Ace. This bet usually pays out at 2:1.
- Perfect Pairs: You can play this bet if you believe that your first two cards might have the same numerical value.
- 21+3: This bet is borrowed from Poker. You get a payout if your first two cards and the dealer’s face-up cards make either a Flush, Straight, Straight Flush, or Three of a Kind. Each winning hand pays out at different odds, depending on how likely it is to have that hand.
Q: Can I play Blackjack for free online?
A: Yes, you can, and it’s a good idea if you are new to playing Blackjack. Most online casinos will allow you to play the game’s demo version online for free.
Q: Do I have to keep playing if my first two cards are bad?
A: No, you sometimes have the option to surrender your hand if you feel that you will lose. The option depends on the type of game you are playing.
Q: What is a split?
A: A split is when you are dealt two numerically identical cards, which you then split into two hands. You will have to double your bet, but it gives you a better chance to win.